Monday, January 28, 2008

Counsel I've given to a new believer in Jesus

First, I'll tell you about an incident in the Bible which I often tell young people about when they are just getting started with Jesus. It's the last part of the 6th chapter of John's Gospel, which is the 4th book of the New Testament.

Jesus had been doing some preaching, some of which was intended to make the audience understand that it wasn't enough for them to do this or that good deed; they needed to have a relationship with Jesus Himself. Many of His hearers decided that this was too heavy for them, so they quit listening to Him. Jesus then asked His closest friends, the Apostles, "Will you also leave?" Then the Apostle Peter--for whom Peter in the Narnia stories is named--replied, "Lord, whom could we go to? YOU have the words of eternal life; and we believe, and have come to know, that You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God."

This episode shows that there is no substitute for Jesus, no "Plan B." Sometimes an emotional mood, having nothing to do with actual facts, makes us feel as if the Christian life isn't working out. At such times, it's important to remember that Jesus is THE ONLY hope.

1 comment:

Joe Beale said...

Joseph,
I've been trying to locate you on the web for several months. Could you add me back to your e-mail distribution list? My home e-mail address is joebeale@wowway.com and it won't change when I change employers. Last time I moved I forgot to send you an update and then when I remembered I couldn't locate your e-mail address. Nice to see you back to blogging again.